This versatile recipe provides and ideal base for a variety of pasta dishes and pizzas. It can also be served with chicken or fish.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot very finely diced
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery very finely chopped
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of peeled black garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of caster sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan. Heat until hot. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sweat until soft but not coloured.
- Crush the black garlic cloves and add to the vegetables.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on a very low heat. If the sauce is too thick add a little hot vegetable stock.
- Check for seasoning and then add sugar to taste.
- Add flaked tuna, sliced black olives and a handful of fresh basil. Heat the sauce and serve with pasta.
- Fry a small aubergine in extra virgin olive oil and add to the tomato sauce. Stir in some fresh oregano. Heat the sauce and serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Gently fry some smoked bacon, add to the sauce with a handful of frozen peas. Heat through. Fold in a little double cream at the last minute. Serve with pasta.
- Chop up a roasted red pepper (from a jar).
- Grate a courgette and add to the tomato sauce. Heat through until the courgette is cooked. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle over some dry fried pine nuts.
- Heat up the tomato sauce. Add a handful of fresh cherry tomatoes (halved) 3 sun- dried tomatoes (chopped).
- Stir in a tablespoon or two of mascarpone cheese. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end.